Thursday, July 16, 2009

A Pen Pal for Max

A Pen Pal for Max by Gloria Rand is a picture book I enjoyed reading. It is the story of Max, a boy from Chile, becoming pen pals with a girl in the United States. It reminded me of some of the pen pals that I had growing up, including Laura, who lived in Hong Kong. It was always exciting to get a letter from her. We probably wrote for several years and I acquired a lot of postage stamps from there. I think that she even sent a coin or two. I realize now people know people from all over the world via e-mail, but I don't think it can compare with the excitement of getting a real letter in the mail from a distant place. I wish that I would have been able to keep in touch with her cause maybe I would have eventually been able to meet her. Did anyone else have a pen pal growing up?

No comments: