Monday, January 12, 2015

treasure

Saturday I was on a walk to the mall when I happened upon a back to school sale in one of the plazas here.  There were tables set up under canopies with a variety of vendors.  Some had your basic school suppplies.  Others had something far more valuable to me-tables full of used books.  I abandoned my walk to the mall, choosing instead to look for a few novels written in English.  At my reading rate, I hoped to find at least a few books of interest to me as it is close to a month before I go home.  Each vendor searched the tables for an English book I would find suitable for purchase.  One young woman found several books in English at her table.  I hated to disappoint her by not buying the books she found for me, but one was a Bible (I have one Bible and one New Testament with me here), another was an English dictionary, and the third book was written for people who were married for the second time.  At the end of my time, I had found two novels (one by Eoin Colfer, the other by Debbie Macomber) in English and the biography of Joni Eareckson Tada in Spanish to purchase.  It definitely made my day to find new reading material.  If the books are still there this week, I may return there with more money and time to see if I can find anything else.

No comments: