Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Go Set a Watchman

Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee was not as riveting a read as Lee's first book, To Kill a Mockingbird.  It is more story about Scout, but now she is in her twenties and has returned to Maycomb from New York City for a short vacation.  Atticus, Aunt Alexandra, Calpurnia are there in the book, but Jem and Dill are gone (except in references to the past).  There is a young man Henry, and Atticus' older brother Dr. Finch makes a strong appearance.  It took over a hundred pages to get to the problem in the story with lots of introspection.  It is offensive at times because of the attitude toward African Americans and the use of profanity.  Though I am glad that I read the book, it is not likely that I will read it over and over like I have done with To Kill a Mockingbird.  Have you read it?  What did you think?      

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I haven't read it yet, but I have reread To Kill a Mockingbird this summer and I'm glad I did.